Thursday, March 28, 2024

-- $$$$ --

---------------------------------------------------

In the last couple months 2 people have emailed me asking about the monetary reward for finding IBWOs… soooo, I imagine others exist with the same basic question...


The original Cornell/Nature-Conservancy reward was $50,000 for anyone who could lead biologists to a living Ivory-billed Woodpecker (likely a nest, roosthole, or foraging site) — just sending in nice pics/video is not enough; you must take appropriate people to the bird! I think, but am not absolutely positive, that that reward still stands…?

Currently, Matt Courtman is individually also offering a $12,000 reward to anyone who can lead him to a living IBWO (he’s based in La. but willing to travel elsewhere).

If anyone knows of other active monetary rewards in play or has any other pertinent details, feel free to pass along.


Frankly, as I told both emailers, IF you get great pics and videos of living IBWOs you can likely make more $$$ in the long run off those pics, and storyline, speaking engagements, articles, interviews, possible book, etc. than you’ll get from the offered rewards! Not to mention the sheer reward of making your mark forever in future scientific books/history! ;)

---------------------------------------------------


2 comments:

MikeD said...

Last I heard, the 50K reward was no longer on the table but the Courtman 12K reward was still available.

This from some inquiries I made and answers I got on the Ivory Bill Rediscovered facebook page, perhaps about a year and a half ago.

cyberthrush said...


Yes, quite awhile back I'd heard it was withdrawn, but then at some point after that someone told me it was no longer being publicized or promoted but would likely still be honored if someone successfully met the criteria? also FWIW, I see David Luneau still has it listed up on his IBWO website?