Friday, February 02, 2018

— A Trip Down (bad) Memory Lane —


Wow, there are so many episodes (for lack of a better term!) going back over the whole IBWO saga in just the last dozen years! I see over on Facebook they have brought up the “tmguy” or “Bill Smith” story from very early on. I don’t participate on Facebook (for all the reasons despisers of FB normally give), but I’ll try to offer a little off-the-cuff back-story here — I say “off-the-cuff” because I used to have quite a few notes on “tmguy” which I’m now too lazy to try to find, so will simply go on memory, which I hope is mostly right (but no guarantees):

Here’s the photo (he actually had a couple of photos, but this was the main one) that bought him his 15 minutes of fame over 12 years ago (OK, actually the controversy went on for quite awhile, though most everyone concluded this was a painted decoy or model of some sort, in an orange tree no less?):


“tmguy” stood for “that magic guy” because, as a hobby he was a stage magician; his full name was “William Frank Smith” and he emerged out-of-the-blue to claim many encounters with IBWOs in Florida. I think he was from the Lady Lake area of Florida, and at least some his claims/sightings (NEVER-ever verified) may have come from the Green Swamp area — though I may be confusing him with another claimant in that regard.
I communicated with him a few times, never getting very detailed or satisfactory answers; always a noticeable bit of evasiveness, though he’d stick to his basic storyline. He did seem to have some sincere interest and knowledge of wildlife in general, and while I could give him little credibility on his IBWO tales I was willing to look at the book he promised and promised and promised for 2+ years that would detail his Ivorybill exploits (including more pics) — the book of course never appeared; for a long time he had limp excuses for its delay, but eventually he just faded away after the beating he took online.

Even then I continued to follow his online behavior on aquarium forum sites that he frequented — he actually owned/ran an aquarium shop for awhile (in Tampa perhaps?, before it went out-of-business) — his fish comments were almost always reasonable, intelligent, helpful, upfront… but of course one can be an honest, upfront person I s’pose in one area of their life, and a total prankster/doofus in some other area. 8-/

To my utter amazement I just checked and much of his original site is still up! (though most of the pictures are long gone):

...note too, his URL was "bill is mad dot com" -- which I dare say many of us began taking literally!

That's about all I recall at the moment; if I think of more of pertinence or run across my old notes I might add more here later.

******************

....on a side-note:  I don't know how many folks have had difficulty bringing up the Ivory-bill Researchers Forum site recently (I've had major difficulty with it for over 3 weeks), but I contacted one of the proprietors this week, so they're at least looking into it (I'm not sure how aware of a problem they even were?).
In fact if any reader here has been successfully loading the site, with no problems, the last 3 weeks I'd be curious to hear what browser you are using, what time of day, and are you using mobile or desktop...




16 comments:

Goshawk84 said...

I’ve not been able to access the research forum either for several weeks.

Unknown said...

Same story here. Been trying to access the Researcher's Forum for several weeks now and it just won't pull up.


cyberthrush said...

yes, my experience is that I can sporadically bring the site up in the morning and early afternoon, but have much less success later in day. When it does come up it operates just fine, but if you close it down and try again in 15-20 mins. it may simply not load again.
Quite unusual -- I've never seen a website behave quite this way for this long, so hope they are figuring out the server problem.

Anonymous said...

Odd...the ivorybill research forum has come up every time I've gone there in recent days and weeks, as well as just now.

cyberthrush said...

Ahhh, that's what I've been looking for, someone for whom it HAS been working! Can you say if you've been bringing it up on a mobile device or desktop (or both), and what browser are you using, and maybe even what part of the country are you in and who your service provider is?
(It hasn't loaded for me at all this evening, though it did this morning.)
I'm using:
desktop
Safari, Chrome, Firefox
east coast
Spectrum/Time Warner


Anonymous said...

CT thanks for commenting on this little bit of ivorybill web history. It's a helpful extra bit of perspective. It was I who dredged up the tmguy photo issue and started that post on FB.

In the past...say...8 or 9 years I've poured through every bit of published info on the ivorybill that I can find. The tmguy image issue was new to me. I'm learning now that the various birding sites still hide (from me who does not frequent those sites) an awful lot of content on the topic that I'll probably never access.

At any rate, as I mentioned on FB to MM, there does seem to be some substance to the guy. And now I see that you feel that too. Maybe that is the sort of thing that sets things up for the best liars? It's hard to say and it feels like hubris to think it.

In my recent journey through Bill Pulliam's blog I learned also about the Steve Shepherd fraud. As I understand it Steve was an genuine guy out looking for ivorybills. Sometimes it is a surprise to see things in a person that seem incompatible with the rest of them.

Anonymous said...

The research forum has worked for me on both my phone and my Surface Pro 3

My phone is a Windows phone. Forget what IE version it runs.
Verizon

On my Surface I use Firefox.

I'm in Chicago. Internet service ATT U-verse

BTW I've been told there is an ivorybill within a mile of my house here. Alas it's at the Field Museum :)

Anonymous said...

It's worked on my Surface at the office too. Which is Comcast something or other. ?Xfinity?

cyberthrush said...



Thanks tarcticus for the info provided; the one thing I’m now a bit suspicious about is Time-Warner/Spectrum… how many folks having a problem use them as a service provider? (…although I don’t know enough about how the ‘intertubes’ work to understand how different providers could possibly be differentially-effected by a site-server)???

As to your comments above (and sorry I didn’t cite who brought the topic up on FB, but honestly didn’t remember who it was while I was hastily composing my post):

1) yes, there was tons of discussion on BirdForum (on 1 major thread, and then some tangential threads) back in the early days — I can’t imagine trying to go back and read those 1000s of posts now, especially since most discussions went on far longer than needed — but still lots of interesting episodes.

2) And from those earlier years, a lot of material has been taken down from the Web unfortunately, including for example Louis Bevier’s (skeptical) website, which I urged him to keep up.
p.s.... I've always wanted to know who "Ivorybill Sceptic" was back in the day (who added some levity to all the severe ranting), if anyone cares to fess up! -- I had it down to 2 possible people, but could never conclude definitively it was one of them.

3) As to “some substance to the guy”… just to be clear I felt that ‘tmguy’ was a hoax from the get-go (not merely because of the photo, but because of the way his whole site was written, some of which is now missing. But while that was my ‘gut’ feeling, I do keep an open mind, and was willing to reconsider, if he just provided more/better details and answered more questions… which he never did.

4) the Steve Sheridan (not Shepherd) episode was a rather different case, which I won’t comment on, except to say it should and could have been outed as a hoax faster than it was.

5) The “Dan Rainsong” case was the most egregious story (i.e. fraud) of all from my standpoint (pretty sure Bill Pulliam would agree if he were around), and there were some other semi-prominent claims along the way that we will probably never know for sure if they were sincere or mischievous... very frustrating.




Anonymous said...

For sure no need to cite me on bringing up the tmguy thing.

Sheridan <--> Shephard. Sorry.

On the Pulliam blog I had an idea. I started to take screen shots a few things there. Then I thought, with some coordination, the entire blog could be saved pretty easily by maybe 20 people if the job were divy'd (divied?) up. Then it would be up to somebody to clean it up and organize it into a pdf or something.

I don't know. It might be unethical or illegal.

For me I may save, regardless, the Moss Island stuff. Maybe the survey of potential habitat areas. I'm not that into the video analysis. Or the mathematics or statistics.

Anonymous said...

Addenda...

Should've stated my Surface is my desktop via docks at work and at home. Hardwired to the web.

One nice thing about Facebook is editing posts for spelling or wrong names...like using Shephard instead of Sheridan. If there is a way to edit posts here I'd like to know it.

cyberthrush said...


Re: above questions...

Afraid there's no way to edit the comments, other than possibly deleting your own comment (I'm not sure if you can do that?), and re-composing/re-sending it.

I suspect Bill Pulliam's blog will remain up for a long time, though it certainly couldn't hurt to make hard copies of his major IBWO posts (large chunks of his blog have nothing to do with IBWO) -- there's nothing illegal about doing that for personal use, and not for profit. Of course if the Ivory-bill is never definitively confirmed Bill's blog won't mean all that much... if IBWO IS ever verified it will be a treasure.

IBWC said...

Laptop
Chrome, Firefox, IE
East Coast, Central Florida
AT&T (U-verse)

Have had no problems accessing the site since switching from Comcast (Xfinity) to AT&T about three months ago, and do so almost daily, but with the former had a two or three week period of inaccessibility.

concolor1 said...

I mentioned in the previous column I'd had no problem pulling up the IBWO Forum; I don't remember if I had one weekend where I couldn't or just took CT's and others' word for it…

I use either an iMac desktop or an Macbook Pro with a slightly obsolete OS (Mountain Lion, surprise, surprise :-) I'm going to upgrade this week… Garden variety Safari, although I have Firefox available as well.

And I use Xfinity with a wireless connection unless I'm in a coffee with my laptop.

Fangsheath just posted an e-mail addy inviting people to communicate with him if they experience problems.

Anonymous said...

I, too, LOVED the zaniness of Sceptic. Wish we could get an encore appearance.

cyberthrush said...


actually for the sake of accuracy, Anonymous, I realized I slightly misremembered the parody blog name... it was "Ivorybilled Septic" (not sceptic), and I think it was either a fellow who was out of Washington at the time who's name begins with "M" or a fellow out of Colorado, name beginning with "E" (but I don't want to get anymore specific than that in case I'm wrong!) -- I actually used a web-based linguistic-analysis program at the time to get it narrowed down to those two. Fun times! ;)

Meanwhile, I'm still rarely able to get the IBWO Researchers Forum to load successfully and don't know how widespread that problem is, or if it's limited to people on Time Warner???